• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Needing less sleep as I get older?

alterego.shadow

Bluelighter
Just as the title says, I have been sleeping less and less over the past year. Even though I sleep less, I don't feel more tired. I just turned 27. I used to be able to sleep 10 hours in a night pretty easily, but probably averaged about 8 to 9 hours. Now I'm fine with about 6 hours a night. I exercise just about everyday, mountain hiking and heavy weight lifting. My diet is also pretty healthy and I don't drink alcohol.

I also used to be a regular weed smoker. I haven't smoked in over a year, so I'm not sure if this is a contributing factor.

If anyone can shed some light onto this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

yeah i experienced the same thing. too busy to sleep in. 7-8 hours max or else i feel like shit.

Since getting daily exercise and various meditations which could effect energy levels, I've been at only four to five hours, and then I wake up feeling fine. I guess its because the exercise makes you need less, but how much less naturally, idk.

I have noticed this as well! I get by completely fine on 7 hours where i used to be a 9 hour sleeper. 8 is ideal for me but all through the week i manage fine on 6-7 hours a night.

Let's see if i can still pull it off now that im gonna be going to the gym every morning!

yeah, I'm 29 and I find I need less sleep. I can function decent;y on 6 or 7 hours but I prefer 8. If I don't get 8 hours for a few days in a row I usually need a few naps to get those hours back. When I'm heavy in to the weight lifting I usually need an extra hour a night.

Funny, I hit the big 40 and now I can't get enough sleep. But, its probably related to some of my medical issues. I would love to feel good with 7 hours.

I am 38. It has been years since I was blessed with the gift of nap.
I average 7 hours and feel good on a daily basis.
I don't think I need an alarm anymore but am not willing to risk it during a work week.

I have an alarm set but that's because my hours can vary, making it hard to plan some things. Having said that I always wake up about 10 minutes before it goes off, without fail. Bonus is that I get to turn it off before it starts so I don't have to hear the damn thing.

I also lack the ability to nap, if I do I don't wake up feeling recharged more like I've cheated myself from a real sleep and I feel groggy.

I can work on 6 hours a night but not when working 10 or more hour days.
Normally on a week night I need my 7.5 - 8 hrs.

Same on Friday night, because I've been up early that day I tend to be in bed by 9 or so but am up early Saturday mornings.

Sundays are my sleep in days where I get up around 9am if I don't have much to do.

Life by the clock :(